PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

Annals of Biomedical Sciences

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Open Access  DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Subscription or Fee Access

Experience and use of ultrasound scan for fetal evaluation among obstetricians in an African population

S Igbarumah, E Enabudoso

Abstract


Aim: To assess the experience and the use of ultrasound scan for fetal evaluation among obstetricians

Material and Methods: Fifty three Obstetricians who attended an international conference on Fetal Medicine and Obstetric Ultrasound scan held in May 2014 at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital were recruited for the study.

Results: A large majority of the respondents (89%) reported having had knowledge of Ultrasound scan and have used it before while only 11% of the respondents have never used an ultrasound scan. The average duration of ultrasound use among those who reported having some experience was 3.30±2.13 years. Twenty nine (55%) of the respondents had ultrasound experience spanning a duration of 1-4 years while eighteen (34%) had the experience of ultrasound use of between 5-9 years. Among those who reported having some knowledge, only 30% have had formal training in ultrasonography while the remaining 70% had no formal training.

Conclusion: There is a high level of awareness of obstetric ultrasonography among Obstetricians. The use of ultrasonography was low due to low levels of formal training. Developing guidelines and creating training centres for obstetricians will help improve the experience and use of ultrasonography.




AJOL African Journals Online