Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma: a case report and review of literature
Background: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CA-ex-PA) is extremely unusual in minor salivary glands of oral cavity. CA-ex-PA is a carcinomatous change as a primary or as a recurrence of pleomorphic adenoma.
Objective: Due to resemblance of clinical symptoms of Ca ex PA and benign pleomorphic adenoma, it is mandatory for surgeons to keep high degree of clinical alertness, considering the peculiarity of this tumor.
Case Report: 54-year-old male presented with swelling on left side in the pre-auricular region from the middle of zygomatic arch to mastoid process and from tragus of the ear up to angle of mandible. Fine needle aspiration cytology revealed a mixture of benign and malignant components. Total left parotidectomy with left radical neck dissection followed by reconstruction with cervicodeltopectoral flap was performed. Combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy were given to patient. Histologic examination and pre-operative fine needle aspiration cytology confirmed the diagnosis of Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (CA-ex-PA). Two-year follow-up of patient showed no recurrence of the lesion.
Conclusion: Due to the similarity in the clinical symptoms of CA-ex-PA and benign pleomorphic adenoma, it is vital that clinicians maintain a high degree of clinical vigilance, considering the oddity of this malignancy.
Keywords: Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma, Fine needle aspiration cytology, parotidectomy.
While African Health Sciences has been freely accessible online there have been questions on whether it is Open Access or not. We wish to clearly state that indeed African Health Sciences is Open Access. There are key issues regarding Open Access needing clarification for avoidance of doubt:
- 1. Henceforth, papers in African Health Sciences will be published under the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on https://creativecomons.org/)
- 2. The copyright owners or the authors grant the 3rd party (perpetually and in advance) the right to disseminate, reproduce, or use the research papers in part or in full, format/medium as long as:
- No substantive errors are introduced in the process
- Attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given
- The referencing details are not changed.
Should the papers be reproduced in part, this must be clearly stated.
- 3. The papers will be freely and universally accessible online in an easily readable format such as XML in at least one widely recognized open access repository such as PUBMED CENTRAL.
B. ABRIDGED LICENCE AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHORS AND African Health Sciences
I submitted my manuscript to African Health Sciences and would like to affirm that:
1.0 I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2.0 I guarantee, on behalf of self and co-authors:
- That the paper is original, and has not been published in any other peer-reviewed journal; nor is it under consideration by other journal (s). It does not infringe existing copyright or any other person’s rights
- That we are/I am the sole author(s) of the paper and with authority to enter into this agreement. My granting rights to African Health Sciences is not in breach of any other obligation
- That the paper contains nothing unlawful, or libelous. Nor anything that would constitute a breach of contract, confidence or commitment given to secrecy, if published
- That I/we have taken care to ensure the integrity of the article.