Antibacterial activity of Thonningia sanguinea against some multi- drug resistant strains of Salmonella enterica
Background : The emergence of strains of S.enterica with multiple drug resistance (MDR) is of great concern worldwide.The extracts of flowers of Thonningia sanguinea are used in traditional medicine in Ivory Coast to treat diarrhoeal diseases including salmonellosis. Previous studies had shown inhibition of the MDR strain Salmonella Enteritidis lysotype 6. Objectives: The present study focused to investigate the effect of the extract of the flowers of Thonningia sanguinea on some clinical MDR strains of Salmonella namely S.Tyhpi, S.Typhimurium,S. Hadar and a sensitive strain (S.Enteritidis). Methods: The antimicrobial parameters were determined by double dilution with agar slant method.This method led us to determine MIC, IC 50 and MBC. Results: The MDR strain of S.Typhimurium presented the highest MIC (2.5 mg/ml) whereas the other two MDR strains (S.Hadar,S.Typhi) and the sensitive one (S.Enteritidis) had the same MIC (1.25 mg/ml).The four strains presented the same MBC (2.5 mg/ml). The MDR strain of S.Typhi is the most susceptible strain to the aqueous extract of the flowers of Thonningia sanguinea according to The IC 50values. Conclusions: The aqueous extract of Thonningia sanguinea can provide an alternative therapy for the treatment of salmonellosis, mainly for typhoid fever caused by MDR strains of S. Typhi.The extract also inhibits S.Hadar a MDR emerging strain in Ivory Coast.
Keywords: Thonningia sanguinea; Salmonella, MDR strains, Ivory Coast
African Health Sciences Vol. 7 (3) 2007: pp. 155-158
While African Health Sciences has been freely accessible online there have been questions on whether it is Open Access or not. We wish to clearly state that indeed African Health Sciences is Open Access. There are key issues regarding Open Access needing clarification for avoidance of doubt:
- 1. Henceforth, papers in African Health Sciences will be published under the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on https://creativecomons.org/)
- 2. The copyright owners or the authors grant the 3rd party (perpetually and in advance) the right to disseminate, reproduce, or use the research papers in part or in full, format/medium as long as:
- No substantive errors are introduced in the process
- Attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given
- The referencing details are not changed.
Should the papers be reproduced in part, this must be clearly stated.
- 3. The papers will be freely and universally accessible online in an easily readable format such as XML in at least one widely recognized open access repository such as PUBMED CENTRAL.
B. ABRIDGED LICENCE AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHORS AND African Health Sciences
I submitted my manuscript to African Health Sciences and would like to affirm that:
1.0 I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2.0 I guarantee, on behalf of self and co-authors:
- That the paper is original, and has not been published in any other peer-reviewed journal; nor is it under consideration by other journal (s). It does not infringe existing copyright or any other person’s rights
- That we are/I am the sole author(s) of the paper and with authority to enter into this agreement. My granting rights to African Health Sciences is not in breach of any other obligation
- That the paper contains nothing unlawful, or libelous. Nor anything that would constitute a breach of contract, confidence or commitment given to secrecy, if published
- That I/we have taken care to ensure the integrity of the article.