Pattern of intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) use in a pediatric intensive care facility in a resource limited setting
Background: Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG) preparations are scarce biological products used for replacement or immunomodulatory effects. Guidelines have been issued by regulatory health authorities to ensure provision of the products for patients who are in severe need.
Objectives: The study aimed at description of the pattern of IVIG use (label/off label indications), adverse effects observed, reason for choice of IVIG among other modalities and efficacy in a pediatric intensive care setting.
Methods: A retrospective chart review. Patients: The study included 45 cases admitted from 2008 through 2011 in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) of a tertiary referral pediatric hospital.
Results: The clinical diagnoses included neurology (35%), neonatology (16%), hematology (11%), autoimmune disorders (11%) immunodeficiency disorders (11%), infections other than neonatal sepsis (9%) and cardiology (6.5 %). The indications for IVIG use had an Evidence category Ia / Ib in 62 % of cases whereas the other 38 % had level II and III evidence. Choice of IVIG as a therapeutic option was based on failure of other treatment options to achieve response in 46.5%, lack of alternative treatment options 15.5 % and the need for urgent response in 38 %. Adverse events, duration and doses are reported.
Conclusion: IVIG use is governed by availability of alternative options and the need for urgent response in critically ill children. Guidelines should be issued based on locally available treatment options and their cost effectiveness.
Keywords: Intravenous Immunoglobulin-Pediatrics- critically ill children
While African Health Sciences has been freely accessible online there have been questions on whether it is Open Access or not. We wish to clearly state that indeed African Health Sciences is Open Access. There are key issues regarding Open Access needing clarification for avoidance of doubt:
- 1. Henceforth, papers in African Health Sciences will be published under the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on https://creativecomons.org/)
- 2. The copyright owners or the authors grant the 3rd party (perpetually and in advance) the right to disseminate, reproduce, or use the research papers in part or in full, format/medium as long as:
- No substantive errors are introduced in the process
- Attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given
- The referencing details are not changed.
Should the papers be reproduced in part, this must be clearly stated.
- 3. The papers will be freely and universally accessible online in an easily readable format such as XML in at least one widely recognized open access repository such as PUBMED CENTRAL.
B. ABRIDGED LICENCE AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHORS AND African Health Sciences
I submitted my manuscript to African Health Sciences and would like to affirm that:
1.0 I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2.0 I guarantee, on behalf of self and co-authors:
- That the paper is original, and has not been published in any other peer-reviewed journal; nor is it under consideration by other journal (s). It does not infringe existing copyright or any other person’s rights
- That we are/I am the sole author(s) of the paper and with authority to enter into this agreement. My granting rights to African Health Sciences is not in breach of any other obligation
- That the paper contains nothing unlawful, or libelous. Nor anything that would constitute a breach of contract, confidence or commitment given to secrecy, if published
- That I/we have taken care to ensure the integrity of the article.