An audit of pattern of patients' presentation at the periodontics clinic of the University College Hospital, Ibadan

  • OI Opeodu
  • MO Arowoljolu
  • SO Gbadebo
  • TS Ibiyemi
Keywords: Audit, pattern, pain, presentation.

Abstract

Objectives: This study is aimed at assessing the various reasons why patients present at the periodontics clinic of the University College Hospital, Ibadan.
Materials and Methods: A six months retrospective review of patients treated in the periodontics clinic of the University College Hospital, Ibadan was conducted. Case file records were retrieved and information on patients’ bio-data, occupation and their various presenting complaint during their first consultation at the clinic were reviewed. Three hundred patients were seen in the clinic during the period under review but records of four of them were incomplete and were therefore excluded from the study. The association between the gender of the patients and their various initial presenting complaints was assessed using chi-square tests,
p set at (<0.05).
Results: Records of two hundred and ninety-six patients were reviewed comprising of 150 males and 146 female (M/F, 1:1). Out of these patients, only eighty-four (28.4%) had been coming for regular check-up while the remaining 71.6% reported with various complaints. Majority (45.3%) presented with pain of which there were slightly more females than males (M/F =1:1.1). Gum bleeding and poor oral hygiene were other reasons why patients presented at the clinic. The younger age groups were noticed to be more frequent at the clinic on routine basis than the older ones during the period under review.
Conclusion: The finding of this study further confirmed that majority of people only seek dental care to alleviate their pain. We therefore suggest that efforts should be intensified towards public enlightenment, as prevention is better and cheaper than cure.

Keywords: Audit, pattern, pain, presentation.

Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1597-1627