Latex allergy in an infant with acquired hydrocephalus
AbstractLatex allergy is a potentially life-threatening intraoperative occurrence which is relatively rare in our environment. We report the case of a 3 month old male infant with acquired hydrocephalus undergoing ventriculo-peritoneal shunt insertion who developed wheals and suffered a respiratory arrest following contact with latex gloves. The need for anaesthetists to effectively diagnose and properly manage this rare clinical entity is emphasized. Keywords: latex allergy; perioperative
It is a condition of acceptance for publication that copyright becomes vested in the journal. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior permission in writing from the copyright holder.