Sterilization by Minilaparotomy in South-Eastern Nigeria

  • EE Nwogu-Ikojo
  • HU Ezegwui
  • SO Nweze
Keywords: Female sterilization, Minilaparotomy, Tubal ligation

Abstract

The study aimed to assess the trend in acceptance and characteristics of acceptors of female sterilization between January 1999 and December 2006 at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu,
South-Eastern Nigeria. There were a total of 20,485 new clients, with 212 (1.0%) accepting sterilization between January 1999 and December 2006. There was an initial rise in acceptance from 0.4% in 1999 to 3.0% in 2004, then a decline. 108 (50.9%) were between 35-39 years. 169(79.7%) had more than five living children. 69 (32.5%) and 76 (35.9%) had secondary and higher education respectively. Health workers were the main source of information. Completed family size was the reason for choosing sterilization in 185 clients (87.3%). 120 (56.6%) were in occupational social class 3. 106 (50.0%) did not practice any form of family planning prior to the procedure. 184 (86.8%) had interval sterilization and the rest (13.2%) postpartum. Acceptance of tubal sterilization is still low in our community (Afr J Reprod Health 2009; 13[4]:105-111).
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1118-4841