Open Access Subscription or Fee Access
Staphylococcal milk poisoning in calves
Twenty out of 89 dairy calves fed on unsold raw milk returned from the fresh milk market, became sick within one hour after consuming the milk. The main clinical signs observed were sudden collapse, bloating, tetany, and diarrhea, seven of the sick calves died and two were submitted for necropsy. Postmortem findings included acute abomasitis (gastritis) and enteritis in both calves and pneumonia in one. Hemolytic Staphylococcus aureus was isolated in pure cultures and in large numbers from the milk samples and abomasal contents of both calves. It was concluded that the syndrome was staphylococcal milk poisoning.
The Kenya Veterinarian Vol. 22 2001: pp. 60-62