PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



Is DU Phenotype Testing A Necessity In Blood Bank Practice In Nigeria?

CA Nwauche, OA Ejele

Abstract


Objective: To evaluate the necessity of Du Phenotype testing in blood bank practice in Nigeria.

Design: Cross-sectional study

Setting: Three health institutions within Port Harcourt metropolis: The University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Braithewaite Memorial Hospital, Port Harcourt and Orogbum comprehensive health centre, Port Harcourt.

Sample: One hundred and fifty Rhesus Negative Pregnant women.

Method: Three milliliters (mls) of blood was collected from each subject by venepuncture, into 10mls strerilin containers and the red cells were then separated from the serum before embarking on the two stage Du testing. (According to Dacie and Lewis)

Results: 105 Rhesus Negative pregnant females were tested out of which only 1 (0.95%) was Du phenotype positive while the rest 104 (99.05%) were Du phenotype Negative (True Rhesus Negative).

Conclusion: The pattern of Du phenotype appears not to be uniform in Nigeria. It is high in Western Nigeria and low in the South Eastern and Niger Delta, while the incidences in Northern Nigeria is yet to be evaluated. Hence, Du phenotype testing may be necessary, if not mandatory in areas of high incidence while it may not be necessary in areas of low incidence. More studies are required to evaluate the rationale approach to Du testing in Northern Nigeria.
Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice Vol.5(2) 2002: 120-122



AJOL African Journals Online