Implanon Sub-dermal Implants: A 10-month Review Of Acceptability In Jos, North-central Nigeria

  • JT Mutihir
  • PH Duru

Abstract



To determine the acceptance of Implanon so far, the group of women accepting it, insertion complications and immediate post insertion problems, if any, and report our initial experiencewith themethod. This was a retrospective review study of all cases of Implanon acceptors between 1 May and 28 February 2007. Demographic and social factors were collated. Insertion and post-insertion complications were evaluated. A total of 2,608 clients accepted contraceptive methods out of which 350 clients had Implanon capsules inserted within the study period (13.4%). One hundred and ninety-one (54.6%) of the acceptors desiredmore children, and therefore using it to space pregnancies, 154 (44.0%)would notwantmore children, but opted for the temporary long term method, and 5 (1.4%) were uncertain whether to have more children in the future or not.Themean age and parity of acceptorswere 32.4 years and 3.6 respectively.Themean number of living children to the women was 3.4. All the women were married. About three-quarters (75.8%) of thewomen had secondary and tertiary education. Seventy-two (20.6%) of the women were taking a modern contraceptive method for the first time. The rest 278 (79.4%) had used one or more methods of contraception, and were only switching over to Implanon sub-dermal implants. The patients weighed between 40 and 122 kg with an average of 62.4 kg. Post-insertion complications like infection, expulsion, bruising and induration were not reported. Four women discontinued the method for varying reasons. Women are accepting the new method. Over three-quarters of the clients are switching from other methods to Implanon. The method appears to have good continuation rate and therefore a promising long term sub-dermal contraceptive method amongst our women.

Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice Vol. 11 (4) 2008: pp. 320-323
Published
2009-02-12
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1119-3077