Audit of fibroepithelial tumors of the breast in a Nigerian tertiary institution

  • A.O. Daramola
  • O.A. Oguntunde
  • N.A. Awolola
Keywords: Fibroadenoma, fibroepithelial tumor audit, phyllodes tumor grade

Abstract

Background and Objectives: Fibroepithelial lesions are the most common lesions of the breast seen in our laboratory consisting of fibroadenomas (FAs) and phyllodes tumors (PT). The aim of the study was to audit all fibroepithelial lesions and to reclassify all confirmed cases of PTs seen in the study period according to standard criteria.

Methodology: Records and slides of fibroepithelial lesions of the breast received at the department between January 2008 and December 2013 were retrieved and reviewed by the authors.

Results: Out of the 1242 fibroepithelial lesions of the breast retrieved, all but 19 were FAs. The 19 were initially reported as PT: 11 benign, 2 borderlines, 2 malignant, and 4 not classified; however, only 16 of these 19, PTs (84%) met the WHO criteria on review. The remaining 3 (16%) turned out to be FAs based on the absence of stroma overgrowth and hypercellularity. The PTs were reclassified into benign PT, borderline PT, and malignant PT accounting for 75% (12/16), 18.7% (3/16), and 6.3% (1/16), respectively. All of the PTs previously not classified turned out benign on review. One of the borderline PTs was originally reported as malignant PT. All cases initially diagnosed as FAs did not change on review.

Conclusion: These results show that FAs are rarely misdiagnosed. The three cases misdiagnosed as phyllodes may have been prevented if standard data sets were in use. Cases simply referred to as PT without further classification, limit the patients’ access to appropriate management as accurate classification helps in the overall management and prognostication.

Keywords: Fibroadenoma, fibroepithelial tumor audit, phyllodes tumor grade

Published
2016-08-23
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1119-3077