Nigerian Medical Journal

The AJOL site is currently undergoing a major upgrade, and there will temporarily be some restrictions to the available functionality.
-- Users will not be able to register or log in during this period.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of Open Access journal articles will be available as always.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of subscription based journal articles will NOT be available
We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please check back soon, as we will revert to usual policy as soon as possible.

DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Open Access  DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Subscription or Fee Access

Does any relationship exist between self reported gingival bleeding, oral health perception, practices and concerns?

Clement C Azodo, Patrick I Ojehanon


Background: The objective was to determine the relationship between self‑reported gingival bleeding, oral health perception, practices and concerns. Materials and Methods: This cross‑sectional survey among undergraduates of University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria was conducted between April and May, 2011 using a self‑administered 21‑item structured questionnaire. Data analysis was done using Statistical Packages for the Social Sciences and P < 0.05 was considered significant. Results: Out of the 400 questionnaires that were distributed, 338 were returned filled giving a retrieval rate of 84.5%. About three‑quarters (71.3%) of the respondents were younger than 22 years. Males constituted 65.1% while the remaining 34.9% were females. The prevalence of self‑reported gingival bleeding among respondents in this study was 12.7%. Individuals with gingival bleeding were significantly more likely to rate their dental and gingival health as fair/poor, use strong brushing stroke during tooth brushing and report worsening condition of teeth despite daily tooth brushing, express worry about the gingival color and less likely to be satisfied about the appearance of their teeth and to have received professional instruction on tooth brushing. Conclusion: Data from this survey revealed an established relationship between gingival bleeding, perceived dental and gingival health, tooth brushing force, professional instruction on tooth brushing, perception of the condition of teeth in relation to daily tooth brushing, worry about the color of gingiva, and satisfaction with the appearance of the teeth.

Keywords: Gingival bleeding, perceived dental health, perceived gingival health, tooth brushing

Nigerian Medical Journal | Vol. 53 | Issue 3 | July-September | 2012

Full Text:

No subscription journal articles available during site upgrade.
AJOL African Journals Online