Retrospective Study on Puppy Bites Reported to Veterinary Clinic, Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Vom, Plateau State from 2004 to 2010

  • NB Kujul
  • NS Karshima
  • NS Karshima
  • AA Chukwuedu
  • S Olaleye
  • AA Salisu
Keywords: Puppy bites, rabies, retrospective study, fluorescent antibody test, Plateau State

Abstract

In a retrospective study of puppy bite cases, a total of 130 cases of bites were analyzed using seven years records of puppy bites obtained at the Veterinary Clinic of the Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology, Vom, Plateau State. Of these, 53.1% (69/130) and 46.9 (61/130) were bites from male and female puppies respectively. This was
statistically insignificant (p>0.05). Based on age groups, cases of bites were highest 39.2% (51/130) and lowest, 19.2% (25/130), for age groups >2-4 and 0-2 respectively. The highest cases of bites 22.3% (29/130) were recorded in 2004, while 2006 had the lowest with 11.5% ( 15/130) whi ch was s tat i s t i cal ly insignificant (p>0.05). Also 60.0% (78/130) of the bite cases were as a result of provocation while the remaining 40.0%
(52/130) were unprovoked bites. The outcome of fluorescent antibody test
showed that 33.1% (43/130) of the puppies were positive for rabies. Also of this 33.1% positive samples, 22.3% (29/130) and 10.8% (14/130) were males and females respectively. This was statistically significant (p<0.05). The highest apparent prevalence was obtained in Jos South 12.3% (16/130), while the lowest was in Shendam 0.8% (1/130). None of the cases from Pankshin was positive for rabies. Also Jos South recorded highest number of cases 55 (42.3%), while the least were in Langtang and Shendam with 3 (2.3%), each. The results showed that puppies below the age of three months can come down with rabies. It is recommended that
the age for rabies vaccination in Plateau State and Nigeria at large where the disease is endemic be reconsidered especially where bitch  immunization is uncertain.

Key words: Puppy bites, rabies, retrospective study, fluorescent antibody
test, Plateau State.

Published
2013-03-12
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 0331-3026