Ingestion accidentelle de pile bouton en intra-oesophagien
AbstractDigestive foreign bodies in children are a frequent reason for consultation. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy confirms the diagnostic of foreign body ingestion and allows extraction in most cases. A 2-year old child with no notable medical history was admitted to pediatric emergency for swallowing a foreign body three days prior. The child was asymptomatic since ingestion. Physical examination on admission was unremarkable. A chest X-ray was done and showed a radiopaque foreign body in the cervical region. Front side radiography showed a round opacity of doubled regular contour; opacity of a linear profile confirmed the posterior esophageal foreign body. This opacity was characteristic of a button cell image at the upper 1/3 of the esophagus whose immediate removal was deemed necessary to avoid complications (ulcers, gastrointestinal perforation). Differential diagnosis includes ingestion of a coin which results in a round opacity but also with a single contour and whose extraction may differ in the absence of clinical signs. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy was performed and revealed an intraesophageal button cell. Extraction was made using a tripod forceps without incident.
Keywords: Ingestion, foreign bodies, upper endoscopy
Pan African Medical Journal 2016; 23:1