Scientia Militaria is published bi-annually by the Faculty of Military Science (Military Academy), Stellenbosch University. It is an accredited, scholarly journal, which investigates a broad spectrum of matters and issues relating to military affairs, and publishes both discipline-based and inter-disciplinary research. In order to ensure that articles are of a high quality, all submissions are refereed (peer-reviewed) by at least two experts in the field. Refereeing is done with complete anonymity and confidentiality. Please refer to the section on our Peer Review process for full details. Articles published in Scientia Militaria qualify for a subsidy from the Department of Higher Education and Training.
- ·The length of manuscripts should be between 15 and 25 printed journal pages, i.e. 5 000–7 500 words, including footnotes, schedules and reference lists.
- ·A written guarantee that the manuscript has not been submitted to other publications is required.
- ·All papers must be language-edited by a language practitioner.
- ·Where maps, figures and graphs are presented, they must be professionally produced and ready for photographic reproduction.
- ·Authors submitting papers, which originally formed part of dissertations or theses, should consult with their study leaders/promoters prior to submission.
- · It is difficult to be prescriptive about the use of a certain style of reference in a multidisciplinary journal. This specifically concerns the referencing of certain primary researched historical and science articles. The Editorial Committee will make certain exceptions in the case of these kinds of articles. However, as a general guideline, the use of endnotes (not footnotes) is required for all articles considered for publication in Scientia Militaria.
- ·Opinions expressed in the Journal, or conclusions made, are those of the author(s) alone and do not imply endorsement on the part of the editors.
- ·The assessment of papers could take a considerable length of time, and authors are requested not to make enquiries before a period of at least four months has elapsed.
- ·The final decision concerning publication of papers lies with the Editor-in-Chief. No correspondence will be carried on in this respect.
- ·Copyright on all published material in Scientia Militaria rests with the Faculty of Military Science of Stellenbosch University.
Private Bag X2
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
- The submission file is in MS Word document file format.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.