Main Article Content

Assessing Factors Influencing Local Communities’ Compliance with Wildlife Conservation Regulations in Tanzania: A Case of Burunge Wildlife Management Area

J. Tang'are
I. Mwanyoka


Reducing conflict in wildlife resource use is critical to institutions overseeing community compliance with wildlife regulations. While understanding of community compliance to wildlife conservation regulations and the contributing factors is important, this area is yet to be adequately explored. We collected quantitative and qualitative data in villages adjacent to Burunge Wildlife Management Area using household surveys, in-depth interviews and focus group discussions. We then used SPSS statistical software and NVivo as tools to analyse our quantitative and qualitative data respectively. Results showed that majority (77.5%) of the respondents complied with the wildlife regulations and the rest (22.5%) violated the regulations. The relative importance of the factors influencing compliance varied considerably between the observed regulations. The detection probability was statistically significant to influence the regulations. Moreover, descriptive norm in WMAs regulations and by-laws, compatibility of WMAs regulations and fisheries regulations, and participation in the formulation of regulations had significant influence on compliance with the regulations. Thus, the Burunge WMA establishment has contributed to deterioration of community’s conservation norms. Relevant government agencies should therefore enhance collaboration with other stakeholders to enhance communities’ compliance with the regulations, as well as ensuring community participation in decision making.

Journal Identifiers

eISSN: 2408-8137
print ISSN: 2408-8129