Rhesus negative pregnant women in a traditional birth home in Abeokuta, Nigeria

  • O.A. Idowu
  • C.F. Mafiana
  • Dapo Sotiloye

Abstract

In a survey of 200 pregnant women (mean age 24 years) attending a traditional birth home (TBH) in Abeokuta, Nigeria, 19 (9.5%) were found to be rhesus negative, 8 (42.1%) of which were primigravidae while 11 (57.9%) were multigravidae. 87.5% of the Rhesus negative primigravidae delivered at the TBH without being given the post partum injection of anti-D-gama globulin within 72 h of delivery, thereby having their systems likely sensitized (if baby is rhesus positive) against subsequent pregnancies involving Rhesus positive fetuses. Of the multigravidae involved in this study 27.3% women delivered live babies at the traditional birth home while the remaining 72.7% women were not seen again at the TBH.  One woman who has had an induced abortion and was carrying a second pregnancy lost the pregnancy in the course of this study. The knowledge of these women (who were mostly without formal education) on their haematological status is nil. The need to educate the public, especially women patronizing TBH, on the rhesus problem is recommended.

(African Journal of Biotechnology: 2003 2(8): 241-243)
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1684-5315