Presbyopia among public senior high school teachers in the Kumasi metropolis
AbstractBackground: Presbyopia if uncorrected causes inability to see and do near work. It is unavoidable as one ages. High school teachers whose work depends much on near work need proper and adequate correction of their presbyopia to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
Objectives: The aim was to determine the uptake of correction and prescription for presbyopia of presbyopic teachers of public Senior High School (S.H.S.). Design: Descriptive cross-sectional study.
Methods: The study was conducted in 12 public S.H.S. in the Kumasi, with a total sample size of 298. Questionnaire was administered to teachers. Their visual acuity, refraction and ophthalmoscopy were done.
Results: The prevalence of presbyopia among the teachers was 68.1%. Out of the number examined 197(66.1%) were males and 10(33.9%) were females. Amongst the presbyopes 60 did not have presbyopic correction, representing 29.6% of the presbyopes. A total of 52 presbyopic teachers required an add of +2.00DS and this was the highest diopter of correction
needed (25.6%). Among those with presbyopic correction 55.5% of them use single vision type of correction whiles the remaining 44.5% use bifocals. Out of the 48% presbyopic teachers who have had their presbyopia corrected before, 6% were not wearing their correction.
Conclusion: The study has demonstrated a relatively higher prevalence of uncorrected presbyopia amongst teachers in public Senior High Schools in the Kumasi Metropolis of 29.6%. Among those with correction 6
% were not using their correction. Proper and adequate correction is needed by presbyopic teachers through screening to ensure their maximum performance.
Articles published in the Ghana Medical Journal may not be published elsewhere without the consent of the publishers. Request for consent for reproduction of material published in the Ghana Medical Journal should be addressed to the Editor-in-Chief. The publisher of this Journal reserves the right of copyright of all articles published in the Journal. It should also be understood by all authors that articles approved for publication in the journal are also deemed for publication online by the publisher.
Ghana Medical Journal is an Open Access journal and applies the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on the Creative Commons website (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) to articles and other content published in the Journal.