PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

IMTU Medical Journal

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Open Access  DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Subscription or Fee Access

Availability and utilization of health data among council health management teams for health care planning

F Chisongela, CM Wambura

Abstract


A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted to ascertain the extent to which Health Management Information System (HMIS) data are effectively used by District Councils towards development of Comprehensive Council Health Plans (CCHPs). The study focused on knowledge, and skills in data analysis, the level at which resources allocated reflect prioritized health problems and factors influencing resource allocation among Council Health Planning Teams (CHPTs) in Morogoro District and Temeke Municipal Councils, respectively. Findings reveal that only 20 out of 30 participants (67%) agreed to use planning guidelines. While the remaining (33%) indicated that are not utilizing the prototype rather they wait to receive instruction from their fellow CHPT members. Resources allocation was highly influenced by members of health facility governing committees,
politicians, higher authorities and self interests among CHPT members. If this phenomena is not immidiately addressed Health Care Planning will not meet intended results. HMIS data utilization among CHPTs does not
match with prioritized health problems, hence bringing set back towards Heath Sector Reform (HSR) which requires quality HMIS for evidence based decision making.

KEY WORDS: Health Management Information, Council, Health Plans,




AJOL African Journals Online