PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



Factors Influencing Degradation of Mercaptans by Thiobacillus thioparus TK-m (1)

A Adoki

Abstract


Degradation of methylmercaptans by Thiobacillus thioparus TK-m was influenced by pH of the reaction medium. Ratios of headspace concentrations in empty vials and those of acidified buffer solutions
were less than 1.0. 95% of the H2S was in headspace with the remaining 5% in solution upon acidification. The values for MM were 80% in headspace and 20% in solution. Different buffer solutions also influence the rate of removal of mercaptans from reaction vessels. For methylmercaptan oxidase, using Tris/HCl buffer, the highest
level of oxygen uptake was recorded at pH 8.5. Mild changes in the pH levels were recorded at the end of the reactions. Compared to Tris/HCl buffer, phosphate buffer supports a significantly lower reactivity of MMoxidase towards methylmercaptan



http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/jasem.v11i3.55083
AJOL African Journals Online