`n Ondersoek na die oorblyfsels van die Irene-weeshuis en -skool (1902-1907)

  • S Badenhorst

Abstract

During the Anglo-Boer War (1899 - 1902) there were two separate concentration camps in Irene. The location of the main camp is well known, but the exact position of the smaller camp, or Camp no 2 as it was known, is described for the first time. The Irene orphanage was erected after the war in 1902 to accommodate Afrikaans-speaking war orphans. This orphanage was one of three built in the former Transvaal colony. The remaining stone foundations of the orphanage and nearby school building were documented. The government decided to amalgamate the three Afrikaans orphanages in the Transvaal colony, and the Irene orphanage and school closed down in September 1907 when all the orphans were transferred to the Potchefstroom orphanage

SA Journal of Cultural History Vol.15(2) 2001: 41-60
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 1011-3053