The value of percutaneous trephine biopsy in the diagnosis of lesions of the vertebral column
The results obtained in 55 adult patients with sinister lesions of vertebral bodies, who were subjected to percutaneous trephine biopsy, are presented. A positive diagnosis was made on histopathological examination of specimens from 24 patients (44%). In the remaining 31 patients (56%), pathological features were seen in 25. but no specific diagnosis was possible. There were 4 false-negative results. The lack of diagnostic specificity in a large proportion of the patients is explained by the fact that they presented at an advanced stage of disease (probably tuberculosis) when the process of healing had already started. In bony malignant conditions the results were very satisfactory. Percutaneous trephine biopsy is therefore a valuable diagnostic tool for positive diagnosis in a large proportion of patients with osseous lesions and for the exclusion of malignant disease.
Copyright remains in the Author’s name. The work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial Works License. Authors are required to complete and sign an Author Agreement form that outlines Author and Publisher rights and terms of publication. The Agreement form should be uploaded along with other submissions files and any submission will be considered incomplete without it [forthcoming].
Material submitted for publication in the SAMJ is accepted provided it has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere. Please inform the editorial team if the main findings of your paper have been presented at a conference and published in abstract form, to avoid copyright infringement. The SAMJ does not hold itself responsible for statements made by the authors.
Previously published images
If an image/figure has been previously published, permission to reproduce or alter it must be obtained by the authors from the original publisher and the figure legend must give full credit to the original source. This credit should be accompanied by a letter indicating that permission to reproduce the image has been granted to the author/s. This letter should be uploaded as a supplementary file during submission.