The effect of HIV status on clinical outcomes of surgical sepsis in KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa
Background. KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa (SA), has long been the epicentre of the HIV epidemic, but the impact of HIV co-infection on the clinical outcomes of emergency surgical patients with sepsis remains largely unknown.
Objective. To review our experience with the management of patients with HIV co-infection and to compare the disease spectrum and outcome with those without HIV infection.
Methods. A retrospective study was undertaken at the Pietermaritzburg Metropolitan Surgical Service (PMSS), SA over a 5-year period from January 2010 to December 2014.
Results. A total of 675 patients with a documented surgical source of sepsis were reviewed. Of these, 332 (49%) were male, and the mean age was 46 (standard deviation 19) years. HIV status was known in 237 (35%) patients, 146 (62%) were HIV-positive and the remaining 91 (38%) were HIV-negative. Other than tuberculosis of the abdomen being significantly more common in HIV-positive than HIV-negative patients (10% v. 2%, p=0.033), there were no differences in the spectrum of diseases between the two groups. There were no significant differences in overall morbidity or mortality. When adjusted for CD4 counts, the mortality in HIV-positive patients with a CD4 count <200 cells/μL was 60% (15/25) and in those with a CD4 count >200 cells/μL it was 2% (2/101) (p<0.001).
Conclusion. The clinical presentation and the spectrum of surgical sepsis in patients with HIV co-infection were not markedly different to those in patients who were not HIV-infected. HIV-infected patients with a CD4 count <200 cells/μL had a significantly higher mortality. Management approaches should not differ based solely on the HIV status of patients with surgical sepsis.
Copyright remains in the Author’s name. The work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial Works License. Authors are required to complete and sign an Author Agreement form that outlines Author and Publisher rights and terms of publication. The Agreement form should be uploaded along with other submissions files and any submission will be considered incomplete without it [forthcoming].
Material submitted for publication in the SAMJ is accepted provided it has not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere. Please inform the editorial team if the main findings of your paper have been presented at a conference and published in abstract form, to avoid copyright infringement. The SAMJ does not hold itself responsible for statements made by the authors.
Previously published images
If an image/figure has been previously published, permission to reproduce or alter it must be obtained by the authors from the original publisher and the figure legend must give full credit to the original source. This credit should be accompanied by a letter indicating that permission to reproduce the image has been granted to the author/s. This letter should be uploaded as a supplementary file during submission.