PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

South African Medical Journal

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



Prolonged paralysis in a child with organophosphate pesticide poisoning

K Balme, M McCulloch, C Stephen

Abstract


17-month-old boy presented to a local community health centre in Cape Town, South Africa, with severe organophosphate pesticide poisoning (OPP), necessitating the use of intravenous atropine to control cholinergic symptoms, as well as emergency intubation for ongoing respiratory distress. He required prolonged ventilatory support in the intensive care unit at his referral hospital and had subsequent delayed neurological recovery, spending 8 days in hospital.We present this case to emphasise the importance of adequate atropinisation in the management of severe OPP and to highlight the dangers of inappropriate use of suxamethonium for intubation in patients with OPP.




AJOL African Journals Online