Main Article Content

Prevalence, severity and risk factors of allergic disorders among people in south India

Joseph Nitin
Palagani Revathi
NH Shradha
Jain Vaibhav
K Kowshik
Roshan Manoharan
Maria Nelliyanil


Background: Allergic disorders are not usually life-threatening conditions but they impair the person’s ability to function. It thus adversely affects the psychological wellbeing and quality of life. These implications of allergic disorders can be minimized if strategies are planned for its early identification followed by appropriate interventions.

Objectives: To find out the prevalence and risk factors of allergic disorders. 

Methods: Data was collected by house to house survey among participants aged 18 years and above using a standardized allergy assessment questionnaire.

Results: Mean age of the 400 participants was 42.8±14.7 years. Majority 105(26.2%) were in the age group 36 to 45 years. Majority were females 287(71.7%) and were house wives 217(54.2%). Majority of participants were of upper socio economic class 98(44.7%) out of 219 and majority were from urban areas 326(81.5%). The prevalence of allergy among participants was found to be 115(28.7%). Out of these 115, 37(32.2%) had possibility of allergy, 60(52.2%) had probability of allergy and the rest 18(15.6%) had very high likelihood for allergy. People residing in semi urban areas had increased risk of allergy (p=0.024) than those from urban areas. The prevalence of asthma was 30(7.5%) and skin allergy was 23(5.8%). Most common precipitating factors for allergy were dust exposure 103(25.8%) followed by seasonal changes 71(17.8%). Family history of allergy was associated with allergy among participants (p<0.001). Usage of firewood was associated with symptoms of respiratory allergy among participants (p=0.01).

Conclusion: The study revealed some important determinants of allergic disorders which have important implications to frame appropriate prevention and health educational strategies.

Keywords: Allergy, prevalence, risk factors, semi-urban areas, urban areas

Journal Identifiers

eISSN: 1729-0503
print ISSN: 1680-6905