An audit of surgical site infection following open prostatectomy in a Nigerian Teaching Hospital
Background: Surgical site infections (SSI) are a potential cause of morbidity and increased cost of care after operations such as open prostatectomy.
Objective: To audit the occurrence of SSI after open prostatectomy at the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex (OAUTHC), Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Methods: A review of all patients who underwent open prostatectomy over a ten-year period (July 2005 to June 2015). Data analysis was done using the statistical package for social sciences version 21. Association between variables was determined using Chi-square or Fisher’s exact test as appropriate. A p-value < 0.05 was considered statistically significant.
Results: A total of 247 open prostatectomy surgeries were reviewed, with the patients’ ages ranging from 43 – 91 years and a mean age of 67.0 ± 8.8 years. Elective procedures were 98.8% while the remaining 1.2% were emergency cases. There were 24 (9.8%) surgical site infections. The duration of admission of the patients with SSI ranged from 6 – 15 days with a mean of 9.5 ± 3.2 days, as against 4 – 9 days (mean of 5.0 ± 2.1days) for those without SSI. All the patients with SSI were successfully managed with no resultant mortality. Risk factors identified for SSI were emergency surgery (p=0.001), obesity (p<0.0001), diabetes
mellitus (p=0.008), smoking (p<0.0001), pre-operative catheterization (p<0.0001), excessive haemorrhage (p<0.0001) and post-operative suprapubic bladder drainage (p<0.0001).
Conclusion: SSI is a recognized complication of open prostatectomy. Identified risk factors for its occurrence from this audit are emergency operation, obesity, diabetes mellitus, smoking, pre-operative catheterization, excessive haemorrhage and post-operative
suprapubic bladder drainage. Age, approach to prostatectomy (retropubic vs transvesical), incision type (lower midline vs pfannenstiel), level of the surgeon, catheter type and modality of irrigation were however not significant risk factors for post-prostatectomy SSI in this study.
Keywords: Surgical site infection, risk factors, open prostatectomy.
While African Health Sciences has been freely accessible online there have been questions on whether it is Open Access or not. We wish to clearly state that indeed African Health Sciences is Open Access. There are key issues regarding Open Access needing clarification for avoidance of doubt:
- 1. Henceforth, papers in African Health Sciences will be published under the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on https://creativecomons.org/)
- 2. The copyright owners or the authors grant the 3rd party (perpetually and in advance) the right to disseminate, reproduce, or use the research papers in part or in full, format/medium as long as:
- No substantive errors are introduced in the process
- Attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given
- The referencing details are not changed.
Should the papers be reproduced in part, this must be clearly stated.
- 3. The papers will be freely and universally accessible online in an easily readable format such as XML in at least one widely recognized open access repository such as PUBMED CENTRAL.
B. ABRIDGED LICENCE AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHORS AND African Health Sciences
I submitted my manuscript to African Health Sciences and would like to affirm that:
1.0 I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2.0 I guarantee, on behalf of self and co-authors:
- That the paper is original, and has not been published in any other peer-reviewed journal; nor is it under consideration by other journal (s). It does not infringe existing copyright or any other person’s rights
- That we are/I am the sole author(s) of the paper and with authority to enter into this agreement. My granting rights to African Health Sciences is not in breach of any other obligation
- That the paper contains nothing unlawful, or libelous. Nor anything that would constitute a breach of contract, confidence or commitment given to secrecy, if published
- That I/we have taken care to ensure the integrity of the article.