Caesarean delivery rate and indications at a secondary healthcare facility in Ibadan, South Western Nigeria: a five-year review
Background: Caesarean delivery is an essential surgical skill within the primary care setting aimed at reducing maternal morbidity and mortality.
Objectives: To determine the rate and indications for caesarean deliveries with a view to improving on the service delivery in the study area.
Methods: A retrospective review of all caesarean deliveries over a five-year period, January 1st, 2012 to December 31st, 2016.
Results: A total of 2321 deliveries were recorded during the study duration and 481 of them were through caesarean sec- tion (CS) giving a caesarean section rate of 20.4%. The rate was higher in the multigravida 255 (53.1%). The commonest indication for caesarean section was previous caesarean section 131 (27.2%). Emergency caesarean delivery accounted for 278 (57.8%). Only 16 (3.3%) stayed more than five days postoperatively while the rest, 465 (96.7%), stayed less than five days. There was a gradual yearly increase in rate from 12.1% in 2012 to 19.5% in 2016.
Conclusion: The rate of CS in this study has shown a gradual yearly increase with emergency CS having a higher percentage. Early diagnosis and referral of high-risk pregnancies from peripheral hospitals could reduce emergency CS among the study population.
Keywords: Caesarean section; rate; secondary healthcare; Nigeria.
While African Health Sciences has been freely accessible online there have been questions on whether it is Open Access or not. We wish to clearly state that indeed African Health Sciences is Open Access. There are key issues regarding Open Access needing clarification for avoidance of doubt:
- 1. Henceforth, papers in African Health Sciences will be published under the CC BY (Creative Commons Attribution License) 4.0 International. See details on https://creativecomons.org/)
- 2. The copyright owners or the authors grant the 3rd party (perpetually and in advance) the right to disseminate, reproduce, or use the research papers in part or in full, format/medium as long as:
- No substantive errors are introduced in the process
- Attribution of authorship and correct citation details are given
- The referencing details are not changed.
Should the papers be reproduced in part, this must be clearly stated.
- 3. The papers will be freely and universally accessible online in an easily readable format such as XML in at least one widely recognized open access repository such as PUBMED CENTRAL.
B. ABRIDGED LICENCE AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHORS AND African Health Sciences
I submitted my manuscript to African Health Sciences and would like to affirm that:
1.0 I am authorized by my co-authors to enter into these arrangements.
2.0 I guarantee, on behalf of self and co-authors:
- That the paper is original, and has not been published in any other peer-reviewed journal; nor is it under consideration by other journal (s). It does not infringe existing copyright or any other person’s rights
- That we are/I am the sole author(s) of the paper and with authority to enter into this agreement. My granting rights to African Health Sciences is not in breach of any other obligation
- That the paper contains nothing unlawful, or libelous. Nor anything that would constitute a breach of contract, confidence or commitment given to secrecy, if published
- That I/we have taken care to ensure the integrity of the article.