SCOPE The Editorial Board of the Nigerian Veterinary Journal (NVJ) welcomes contributions in the form of original research papers, review articles, clinical case reports, and short communications on all aspects of Veterinary Medicine, Surgery and Animal Production. Submissions are accepted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere and that they are subject to editorial revision. All material published is the copyright of The Nigerian Veterinary Journal. Before submitting material for publication, a recent issue of the journal should be consulted to ensure that manuscripts conform to the Editorial guideline of the Journal.
FORMAT FOR ARTICLES nglish of a high standard should be used in all cases. The Editorial Board may return without refereeing any manuscript that does not comply with the stipulated guidelines.
- Title Page The first page of each paper should indicate the full title written in capital letters, the authors’ name, telephone, email and contact address.
- Second Page Summary: Each paper should have at the beginning, a concise summary giving a synopsis of the findings presented and the conclusion reached in not more than 250 words.
- Key words and running title: Keywords should not exceed six and running title should not exceed eight words.
- Article Structure: Manuscript should consist of; Introduction, Material and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, Acknowledgements (where necessary), references. Short communication / Case reports should not exceed four typed pages. There is no summary for case reports and short communication and results combined with discussion. There should be as few references as possible. Italicized words should not be underlined.
Tables should be drawn as MS Table 1 simple format with as few lines as possible. Each table must be on a separate page, and the following points should be noted: The TABLE should be in capital letter with the actual number in Roman Numerals and centrally placed e.g. TABLE III. All the letters in the title except the first should be small.
- Figures :( Illustrations, graphs, drawings maps) and Plates (Pictures): Legends to illustrations numbered in Arabic numerals should be typed on a separate sheet. Good hard copies of drawings, done with black ink and original black and white photos only are acceptable. On the back of each figure or plate, indicate its number, on the top with pencil-drawn arrow and senior author’s name. Colored illustrations are reproduced at the author’s expense. All figures and plates must be supplied with their digital source (input) files (Excel or power point), Photos, slides saved in JPG, TIF, or EPS (for colored photos, minimum 300dpi; black and white photos, minimum 500dpi), Maps must be very clearly outlined (not copied from Web sites)
Citing of reference in the manuscript should be first authors name with the year in bracket e.g. (Ahmed, 1988) or Ahmed (1988). Where there are more than two authors the first authors name should be followed by the suffix et al (Ahmed et al., 1988) or Ahmed et al. (1988). A list of only references cited in the paper should be arranged alphabetically (by authors name and year) and in this order.
All authors’ surnames followed by initials must be capitalized. Next is the year of publication in bracket. The title of the publication cited, written in small letters except the first letter. When books and theses are cited, the first letter of every key word is capitalized. The standard abbreviation form of the journal in which the paper appears should come last along with the volume number followed by a colon, and the first and last pages of the reference article.
NAWATHE, D.R.(1980). Rabies control in Nigeria. Bull. Off.Int.Epizoot., 92(3-4):129-139
SNEDECOR, G.W. and COCKRAN, W.G. (1976): Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press, Iowa: 3-9
HALL, L.W and CLARKE, K.W. (1991): Veterinary Anesthesia. 9th Ed.Bailliere Tindall, London: 260-265.
The Editor in-Chief acknowledges receipts of the manuscripts and send them to reviewers. All manuscripts will be peer- reviewed by at least two independent referees. Papers recommended for publication by the reviewers may be subjected to editorial revisions. Manuscripts may then be accepted, rejected or revisions may be requested. Authors of the accepted articles will be expected to submit two hard copies of the corrected version of their manuscripts and an electronic copy on CD-Rom.
A page charge of N800(eight hundred naira) or $20 per typed page is levied.
Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if it is accepted for publication, the copyright of the paper shall be assigned to the Nigerian Veterinary Journal. However, the Nigerian Veterinary Journal shall not put any limitation on the personal freedom of the author to use the material contained in the paper in any other works which may be published.
One set of proof may be sent to the author to be checked for printer’s error only and should be returned within the least possible delay.
Copyright NoticeCopyright for articles published in this journal is retained by the journal.
Privacy StatementThe names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.