The following guidelines should be followed by all authors when writing and submitting articles to Nigerian Music Review. Submissions that do not comply with the guidelines will be rejected.
1. Articles must be scholarly, original and contribute to musical knowledge generally.
They may be in any of the following areas: Musicology, Ethnomusicology, Music
Education. Performance, Composition, African Music, Music Technology, History,
Music and Related Arts, Book/Album/Performance Reviews, etc.
2. Manuscripts should be well typed on A-4 sized paper, double spaced with a margin of
1.0” on all sides of paper.
3. The length of the article may not be more than 15 pages, including illustrations and
4. Manuscripts should be submitted electronically as e-mail attachment in Microsoft format.
File name(s) should be clearly stated for easy accessibility.
5. Articles must not have been published or sent for publication elsewhere.
6. The New MLA (with hanging indentation) or Chicago (14 th ed) reference style should be
adopted. The parenthesis should be arranged as illustrated below: Akinlotan (1995)
wrote: Also, indented quotation should end with (Akinlotan, 1995:24-25). Quotation
marks should be single. List of references should appear under REFERENCES at the
end of the write up.
7. Author’s name, address (including e-mails) and title of article should appear on a separate
page. The main write-up should start with the title of the paper without the author’s
8. An abstract of between 150 and 250 words should also accompany the manuscripts.
9. Authors would be notified of the decision of the Editorial Board through writing.
10. The Editorial Board has the final decision on the articles submitted and would not be
responsible for manuscripts that get lost in transit.
11. Authors of accepted articles may have to pay token amount as part of the publication
12. Contributors shall be given two (2) copies of the journal at no extra cost.
13. Submission of papers is welcome for assessment throughout the year.
14. Submission of Articles should be addressed to: Editor-in- Chief, Nigerian Music Review,
Department of Music, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. E-mail: