PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

African Journal of Biotechnology

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



Endophytic fungi from Dracaena cambodiana and Aquilaria sinensis and their antimicrobial activity

L Gong, S Guo

Abstract


Single mycelium method was used to isolate endophytic fungi from surface-sterilized tissues of two medicinal plants. Of the 300 isolates recovered, 172 were from Dracaena cambodiana and 128 from Aquilaria sinensis. According to morphological characteristics, 174 (58%) isolates were identified and belonged to 41 taxa in 30 genera. The remaining 126 (42%) isolates did not sporulate and were segregated into 8 morphological groups. There were colonization rates (34 - 80%) and isolation rates (0.62 - 2.06) in two plants. And some endophytes showed certain level of host specificity or organs specificity. 21 (8.3%) isolates showed antimicrobial activity, moreover, some of them exhibited broadspectrum antimicrobial activity and the inhibition zones ranged from 7 to 27 mm. The active isolates were identified to 17 taxa. Fusarium spp. were the most dominant genera in two plants and showed the most potent antimicrobial activity.



AJOL African Journals Online