Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research

The AJOL site is currently undergoing a major upgrade, and there will temporarily be some restrictions to the available functionality.
-- Users will not be able to register or log in during this period.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of Open Access journal articles will be available as always.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of subscription based journal articles will NOT be available
We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please check back soon, as we will revert to usual policy as soon as possible.

A Retrospective Study on Magnitude and Factors Associated with Anaemia in Postnatal Period from Coastal South India

HHN Kumar, S Gupta, S Ruhela, S Tanya


Background: Anemia in the postnatal period is a common problem, which has been subject of research recently. Though, it is a common problem, it is a less researched topic in India. Hence, this study was undertaken.

Aim: The aim was to know the factors associated with anemia
in the postpartum period.

Materials and Methods: This is a retrospective record.based study conducted in Government Lady Goschen Hospital, Kasturba Medical  College, Mangalore. All the women in the postpartum period who had hemoglobin (%) <11 g/dl were included for the study. Information about various social and clinical factors was collected on a pretested  semi-structured proforma. Multivariate analyses were used to get adjusted odds ratio. P < 0.05 was considered to be significant.

Results: About 16.7% (165/988) had moderate anemia. The rest that is 83.3% (823/988) had mild anemia. Multivariate analysis reveals that following factors were significantly associated with moderate anemia:  Illiterate mothers, parity (.3), short interpregnancy interval (<3 years),
presence of anemia in the antenatal period, late diagnosis in the antenatal period and poor compliance with treatment.

Conclusion: Majority had mild anemia. Further research should be focused to (1) reasons for persistence of anemia from antenatal to postpartum period. (2) Find out the reason for failure to come for follow-up in the postpartum period even though services are free.

Keywords: Anemia, Postpartum women, Retrospective study

AJOL African Journals Online