Case report: Sudden deaths due to choking to stomach contents

  • M.W. Mwangi
  • P.M. Maturi

Abstract

Death due to accidental choking is commonly observed in children below 4 years of age being the common victims1 . The children will choke from common items that the children play with including tiny toys, balloons and coins placed in the mouth and inhaled by accident2 ’ 3 . In adult’s aspiration is common to gastric contents especially in individuals with lowered level of consciousness e.g. in drug intoxication4, 5 . Mechanism of death in aspiration is due to respiratory failure resulting from asystole due to hypoxia induced  dysfunction in the respiratory centers in the brain stem5 . We hereby report two cases of sudden death due to choking from stomach contents which were brought to our mortuary for autopsy.

Published
2021-03-29
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 0012-835X