PROMOTING ACCESS TO AFRICAN RESEARCH

Journal of Research in Forestry, Wildlife and Environment

Log in or Register to get access to full text downloads.

Remember me or Register



Assessment of the Chimpanzee Populations in Akure-Ofosu Forest Reserve, Southwestern Nigeria

BG Ogunjemite, JF Oates

Abstract


The status of chimpanzee populations in western Nigeria was poorly known, and they were judged to be highly threatened, and a plan for their conservation needed. Information on the presence, distribution and abundance of chimpanzees in Akure-Ofosu reserve was obtained from interviews and by making wide-ranging reconnaissance surveys in the company of local guides.  Ten short series of line-transect censuses was also conducted.  Field work was conducted in March-April 2007 and September-October 2007. Three main areas were identified as still supporting chimpanzee populations in Akure-Ofosu Forest Reserve.   These are the Premier Gantry/Benin-Olojoda Road Junction, an area called Double Bridge, and east of Jingbe a settlement between Akure-Ofosu and Idanre Forest Reserves. No direct sighting of chimpanzees was achieved however, a total of 33 nests were counted at four sites.   Twenty-five (75.8%) of the nests were observed in a single forest block (Double Bridge).  The remaining eight nests (24.2%) were observed in two locations within a second forest block (Jingbe). Other primate species encountered include mona monkey, white-throated monkey, putty-nosed monkey and red-capped mangabey. Hunting and intensive exploitation of timber are the main threats to the chimpanzees in the reserve. Akure-Ofosu Forest Reserve does appear to have potential as a chimpanzee conservation site in southwestern Nigeria, especially in combination with such adjacent forests as Idanre.

Key words: chimpanzee populations, wide-ranging reconnaissance and forest block




AJOL African Journals Online