Pathogenic Microbiological Flora Recovered From Ear, Nose And Throat Specimens In A Regional Hospital In Kosovo

  • Z Tahiri
  • A Mustafa

Abstract



Background: to investigate the recovery of pathogenic bacteria, fungi and parasites isolated from ear, nose and throat specimens in large population group in a secondary health care institution. Methods: retrospective study, results of all microbiologic cultures submitted from the outpatient clinic of a large, secondary health care practice, for the time period January 2001 until December 2005 were identified from a microbiologic specimen database. The results from these cultures were entered into a database, tabulating site from which the culture was taken, from whom the material was sent and the type of organism recovered. Results: from a total of 17 362 specimens, 88% results in the normal bacterial flora. Remaining 12% were pathological bacterial, fungal and parasite flora: 1218 from ear specimens, 376 from nose and 474 from throat specimens. In 40% of cases material was sent by primary health care provider, in 52% of cases material was taken during systematic screening and only in about 8% the material was sent from an ENT specialist. the most frequent pathogens isolated from ear specimens are Staphylococcus saprophiticus and aureus, 24.6 and 17.7%, followed by Pseudomonas auriginosa in 13.2%; from nose specimens the most often isolated pathogenic bacteria is Staphylococcus aureus in 52.4%, Streptococcus spp. in 16% and Branhamella in 13% of nose specimens. From the throat specimens Staphylococcus aureus in 48.7%, Enterococcus in 13.3%, Streptococcus â-haemolyticus gr. A in 11.8% and Streptococcus â-haemolyticus gr. B in 8.4% of cases. Conclusions: Staphylococcus spp, Pseudomonas, Escherichia and Streptococcus spp. are leading pathogens from ear, nose and throat specimens, so further investigation on appropriate antibiotics use and bacterial resistance will be welcome.

Keywords: microbiology flora, pathogenic bacteria and fungi, ear and nose and throat specimens

Nigerian Journal of Medicine Vol. 17 (3) 2008: pp. 275-279
Published
2008-09-16
Section
Articles

Journal Identifiers


eISSN: 2667-0526
print ISSN: 1115-2613