Attitude of antenatal patients in Enugu toward HIV screening
AbstractObjective: To assess attitude towards antenatal Human Immuno Deficiency Virus (HIV) screening in Enugu, Nigeria.
Method: A self-report questionnaire was administered to two hundred and nine women attending antenatal booking clinics at the University of Nigerian Teaching Hospital, Enugu.
Results: The mean age was 29.7 years. One hundred and sixty three patients 78.0% were aware of HIV Screenng before booking while 22.0% were not aware at the time of booking. A total of 123 women (58.9%) had previous HIV Screening while the rest (41.1%) accepted the screening for the first time. Educational Level has a significant effect on uptake of HIV test 2 = 8.97, p = 0.003 df = 2 and on the perceived benefit of HIV Screening x2 = 16.6, p = 0.00005 df = 3 but has no significant effect on the awareness of vertical transmission x2 = 0.62, p = 0.43, df = 2. The reason for declining HIV Screening was that AIDS has no known cure, followed by fear of positive result.
Conclusion: The awareness and attitude of Nigeria pregnant women towards HIV Screening and uptake of the test is good. Educational level has a significant effect on the uptake and perceived benefit of the test. Antenatal women should be offered routine voluntary counseling and testing.
Keywords: antenatal, HIV screening, Nigeria
Tropical Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Vol. 22(1) 2005: 156-158
The entire contents of the Tropical Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology are protected under Indian and international copyrights. The Journal, however, grants to all users a free, irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual right of access to, and a license to copy, use, distribute, perform and display the work publicly and to make and distribute derivative works in any digital medium for any reasonable non-commercial purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship and ownership of the rights. The journal also grants the right to make small numbers of printed copies for their personal non-commercial use.
This journal content is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License, which allows others to remix, tweak, and build upon the work non-commercially, as long as the author is credited and the new creations are licensed under the identical terms.