Assessment of knowledge and attitude of patients on herbal medicine use in Udupi region, Karnataka, India
Purpose: To determine the knowledge and attitude of patients on the usage of herbal medicines in Udupi Region of Karnataka State, India.
Methods: This was a descriptive, cross-sectional study, carried out over a period of six months, and involving a structured and validated questionnaire. It was conducted among patients who visited hospitals in and around the Udupi region of Karnataka, India.
Results: About 37 % of the respondents of the study used a combination of allopathy and herbal medicines. The results further showed that 29.8 % of respondents used allopathy, while 24.5 % were on herbal medicines. Of the total herbal medicine users, 34.07 % of the respondents stated that the reason for using herbal medicines was their perception that herbal medicines had more efficacy and comparatively lower side effects. A majority of the respondents, i.e., 64.6 %, lacked knowledge on dose, duration of therapy, side effects and interactions of the drugs. Out of 226 respondents who used herbal medicine, only 65 (28.76 %) could identify adverse drug reactions (ADRs). Among these 65 patients who could identify ADRs, only 16 (24.62 %) informed the physician about it, while the remaining 49 (75.38 %) patients did not inform the physician about it.
Conclusion: The results indicate a need to conduct educational and awareness programs by AYUSH, The Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy on herbal medicines and adverse drug reactions in order to minimize untoward effects caused by herbal medicines.
Keywords: Ayurveda, Knowledge, Attitude, Patient, Adverse drug reactions (ADRs), Herbal medicines
Submission of a manuscript to this journal is a representation that the manuscript has not been published previously and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
All authors named in each manuscript would be required to sign a form (to be supplied by the Editor) so that they may retain their copyright in the article but to assign to us (the Publishers) and its licensees in perpetuity, in all forms, formats and media (whether known or created in the future) to (i) publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the contribution, (ii) translate the contribution into other languages, create adaptations, reprints, include within collections and create summaries, extracts and/or abstracts of the contribution, (iii) create any other derivative works(s) based on the contribution, (iv) to exploit all subsidiary rights in the contribution, (v) the inclusion of electronic links from the contribution to third party material where-ever it may be located, and (vi) license any thrid party to do any or all of the above.