Attitudes of Emergency Department Staff towards the Role of Clinical Pharmacists in a Region of Saudi Arabia - A Pilot Study
AbstractPurpose: To evaluate the attitudes and perceptions of medical doctors and nurses in the Emergency Department ED towards the role of clinical pharmacists.
Methods: A pilot study was conducted among the medical and paramedical staff of the ED of Public Hospital, Eastern Region, Saudi Arabia, Al-Ahsa, using a 24-item questionnaire on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) program as well as clinical pharmacist and medical staff attitudes toward the availability and possible role of clinical pharmacist in EDs. The data analysed statistically.
Results: Sixteen of the 20 respondents expressed a willingness to participate in the study. Six (37.5 %) of the respondents were doctors while the rest were nursing staff. Ten (62.5 %) of the ED staff were aware of the professional degree held by clinical pharmacists (i.e., Pharm-D), and a majority, 12 (75.0 %) had heard of a health care professional called a clinical pharmacist. While exploring medical staff attitude toward the availability of a full-time pharmacist in EDs, 13 (81.3 %) of the respondents viewed this favorably while that regarding the role of pharmacists in drug adherence and patient care was viewed less favorably. Fourteen (87.5%) disagreed with giving prescription rights to clinical pharmacists for minor ailments.
Conclusion: These findings highlight the need to enhance the interaction between the medical and paramedical staff on the one hand, and the clinical pharmacist on the other. Clinical pharmacists need to be given an opportunity to prove their capabilities in direct patient care in order to facilitate the full participation of future Pharm-D graduates in direct patient care in the Saudi health care system.
Submission of a manuscript to this journal is a representation that the manuscript has not been published previously and is not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
All authors named in each manuscript would be required to sign a form (to be supplied by the Editor) so that they may retain their copyright in the article but to assign to us (the Publishers) and its licensees in perpetuity, in all forms, formats and media (whether known or created in the future) to (i) publish, reproduce, distribute, display and store the contribution, (ii) translate the contribution into other languages, create adaptations, reprints, include within collections and create summaries, extracts and/or abstracts of the contribution, (iii) create any other derivative works(s) based on the contribution, (iv) to exploit all subsidiary rights in the contribution, (v) the inclusion of electronic links from the contribution to third party material where-ever it may be located, and (vi) license any thrid party to do any or all of the above.