Journal of Research in National Development

The AJOL site is currently undergoing a major upgrade, and there will temporarily be some restrictions to the available functionality.
-- Users will not be able to register or log in during this period.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of Open Access journal articles will be available as always.
-- Full text (PDF) downloads of subscription based journal articles will NOT be available
We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please check back soon, as we will revert to usual policy as soon as possible.

DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Open Access  DOWNLOAD FULL TEXT Subscription or Fee Access

Farmers Ideas of Climate Change and Strategies for Adaptation in Northern Part of Katsina State

IA Rafindadi


This study examines farmers’ ideas on changes in long-term temperature and precipitation as well as various farm-level adaptation measures and barriers to adaptation at the farm household level in nine selected communities found in three northern local government areas (Batsari, Jibia and Kaita) of Katsina State. The use of percentages was adopted in characterizing farmer ideas on changes in longterm temperature and precipitation changes as well as various adaptation measures being used by farmers and barriers to adaptation. Results confirm awareness and non awareness of some farmers to climate change. 84.44% of respondents within the three age group believed there is increase in temperature, while the remaining 15.56% of the respondent indicated no change in temperature. The study reveals that changes in temperature and precipitation cause changes in crop varieties, changes in planting dates, a shorter growing season, and increased use of water conservation techniques. Various adaptation measures and barriers to adaptation were outlined as reported by respondents.

Keywords: farmer, Climate change, adaptation, Katsina

Full Text:

No subscription journal articles available during site upgrade.

AJOL African Journals Online