Energy efficiency and sustainability: evaluation of electricity consumer’s behaviour towards electricity usage and energy conservation
AbstractEnergy sustainability, conservation and use have become a more predominant trend globally. In view of the important nature of the energy sectors and the effect it has on national development of any country, there is a growing concern about energy consumption and waste, particularly about electricity consumer’s attitudes, behaviour and practices with respect to energy sustainability. Employing the context of cognitive, affective and behavioural components (ABC/Tricomponent Model of Attitude), this work presents the results of a systematic survey and analysis of electricity consumer’s attitudes, behaviours and practices towards energy use and sustainability. Using the random sampling method, the perception questionnaires were administered to respondents across the various streets chosen. The results indicate that although there is some level of awareness with regards to the need for energy sustainability and efficient practices, most consumers did not engage in such practices even among the highly educated. Taking consumer’s knowledge and use of energy saving devices as a case in point, of the 990 respondents, 78% affirmed to having this knowledge while 11% asserted to not knowing, with another 11% having no knowledge of either energy saving devices or its ability to conserve energy. Furthermore, of the 78 % respondents who asserted to being in the know, only 50.8 % actually used such devices while the remaining 49.2% did not despite being fully aware. Significant also is the fact that for respondents who did not have knowledge of electrical energy conservation, 71% indicated their willingness to learn more about the issue. The study therefore recommended that it is necessary to promote efficient use of electricity in order to benefit various stakeholders and it also submitted that there are energy-related attitudes and energy-saving behaviour that could be practiced and performed at little or no cost.
Keywords: Energy efficiency, Energy conservation, Electricity usage, Consumer’s behaviour, Sustainability, Energy saving devices
The copyright of this journal belogs to: International Association of African Researchers and Reviewers.
AFRREV STECH: An International Journal of Science and Technology by International Association of African Researchers and Reviewers is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.