Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic
Sources of Support:
The Journal benefits from Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND) sponsorship.
The evaluation of manuscripts is carried out by the journal’s Editors and the invited external peer reviewers according to the laydown procedures. The editorial process and peer-review workflow for the journal articles are taken care of by the Editor, Editorial Board Members (EABMs) who have expertise in their specific fields and the publication managers. The JSMT
journal follows single-blind and Open peer review policy for submissions of all manuscripts to its journals. The services of the Editor and Editorial Board Members are sought through invitations to organize and conduct the peer-review of a submitted manuscript, keeping in view the scope of the journal, and the expertise of the editorial board members and adhoc review committee members. Manuscripts are forwarded for evaluation to Editors initially and then subsequently to independent external reviewers to check if the research work presented in the manuscript:
- Falls within the scope of the journal and
- Meets the editorial criteria of JSMT in terms of originality and quality. The reviewers are selected according to their expertise, from our regularly updated referee database. On the basis of reviewer comments, the Editors may recommend acceptance, revision or rejection of a manuscript. After review of the manuscript by at least three independent experts, in addition to the views of the Editor, the decision is relayed to the authors, which may be categorized as:
∙ Accept manuscript as it is
∙ Effect Minor Corrections
∙ Effect Moderate Revision
∙ Effect Major Revision
∙ Reject Manuscript
SELECTION OF REVIEWERS
The Editor-in-Chief (EiC) and Editor of the journal together with the publication manager have the right to select reviewers for a particular manuscript considering the knowledge and experience of the reviewers. Before sending the manuscripts to a reviewer, JSMT seeks consent from potential reviewers about their availability and willingness to carry out a review. The correspondence between the editorial office of the journal and reviewers is kept strictly confidential. The author does not know who has conducted the review on his or her manuscript.
PURPOSE OF A REVIEW
A review report provides the Editor-in-Chief/Editor with an expert opinion on the quality of the manuscript under consideration. It also supplies authors with explicit feedback on how to improve their papers to make them acceptable for publication in the journal. Although confidential comments to the editors are not relayed to authors, any remarks that may help improve the quality of the manuscript are forwarded to the authors for their consideration. A good review report answers the following important questions:
- Is the work novel and of high standards?
- What are the main findings of the paper? Is relevant work of other authors in the field appropriately acknowledged and references given to the previous literature?
iii. Do the experimental data support the declarations? If not, what other evidence may prove fruitful?
- What kind of readers would benefit from the manuscript and why?
- In what further directions would it be feasible to take the current research?
IMPORTANT POINTS TO CONSIDER
Reviewers are expected to provide advice on the following points in their review reports:
- Is the manuscript written comprehensively enough to be understandable? If not, how could it be improved?
- Have adequate proofs been provided for the declarations?
iii. Have the authors addressed the previous findings fairly?
- Does the paper offer enough details of its methodology to reproduce the experiments? v. JMST encourages authors to publish detailed protocols as supporting information. Do any particular methods used in the manuscript warrant such a protocol?
The peer-review of a manuscript is a confidential process. Reviewers should keep the whole process completely confidential. They should consult the EiC/ Editor and obtain permission before consulting another colleague for help in the peer-review of the submitted manuscript. Reviewers should not disclose any information whatsoever to anyone before publication of the manuscript.
The reviewers are expected to provide their reports in a timely fashion since a prompt review leads to the timely publication of a manuscript which is beneficial not only for the authors but for the scientific and academic community as well.
CHANGES IN REVIEW REPORTS
The Editorial staff relays the comments of the reviewers on behalf of the Editor-in-Chief/Handling Editor. The review reports are edited by Editor-in-Chief/Handling Editor if the comments contain confidential information or these are written in a language not suitable for scholarly communication. Reviewers should include such comments in the confidential section of the review form, which is intended to be read by the editors only.
Open Access Policy:
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
This journal publishes one volume in two issues per year.
Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic is a Technical Institution offering Technical Education Programmes leading to the award of Diplomas/Certificates such as the National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) under the regulations of National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Federal Ministry of Education , Nigeria. The products of the institution will have entry level employment skills to function as Technicians, Higher Technicians/Technologists and middle class manpower in administration in their various fields of specialization.
print ISSN: 1597-7463